According to Flavil Yeakley, who presented this material at FHU a few years ago, one can say these things about churches of Christ:
* 12th largest religious group in America
* 6th fastest growing church in America
* 4th in the nation in the total number of congregations
* 5th in the nation in number of counties in which there is a congregation
* 1st in the nation in distribution of congregations
* 1st in the nation in weekly attendance
According to a survey by Barna about five years ago, churches of Christ were first in donations among religious groups (for our size).
Each year there are about 1250 new church plantings and about 3750 church closings in the United States. This is a loss of 2500 religious congregations per year.
When you consider that we lost only 69 churches of Christ (2000-2006) out of a total of 15,000 and yet have the fourth most congregations throughout the US, this is rather remarkable! Even the loss of 350 in the last three years (2006-2009) out of 7,500 is rather small.
Let's not be discouraged. We are not pitiful and not dying. Many of our losses were actually mergers.
The call for changing doctrine or die is premature...